Unnamed variables and match-all patterns

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Wed Sep 7 22:13:57 UTC 2022

> As a teacher, i vote for A, APIs should be documented, giving a good
> name to a parameter is usually the first step.

I'm willing to consider starting with A, though I think we should admit
that the most likely reaction if we do that is "you idiots got it wrong
again, we waited 25 years for underscore, and you don't even let us do
it in the most obvious places."  So I don't think "do A and never do
anything about method parameters" is going to fly, though it is
potentially a reasonable incremental step on the way there to get people
used to unnamed things.