Update on String Templates (JEP 459)

Gavin Bierman gavin.bierman at oracle.com
Fri Apr 5 14:01:54 UTC 2024

Thanks for the extensive feedback following Brian's email. I think it’s fair to say that there is still a broad range of opinions on exactly what form this feature should take.

The time has come for us to decide what to do about this feature with respect to JDK 23. Given that there is support for a change in the design but a lack of clear consensus on what that new design might look like, the prudent course of action is to (i) NOT ship the current design as a preview feature in JDK 23, and (ii) take our time continuing the design process. We all agree that our favourite language deserves us taking whatever time is needed to perfect our design! Preview features are exactly intended for this - for trying out mature designs before we commit to them for all time. Sometimes we are going to want to change our minds.

So, to be clear: there will be no string template feature, even with --enable-preview, in JDK 23.

For those of you experimenting with string templates in JDK 22 - please continue to do so, and share your experiences with us. This is the best form of feedback! (We really don’t need, for example, reminders of what other languages do - we have done all that extensive research already. But we don’t know about your application; kick the tires and maybe you’ll unearth something. Play around and send us your feedback - good or bad.)

Thanks,
Gavin