[pattern-switch] Opting into totality

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sun Sep 6 16:53:36 UTC 2020

> So I appreciate the brainstorming, but personally don't really see a problem that needs solving here. (Other than the syntax bikeshed.)

Agreed, it was worth poking around the corners with a flashlight, but
the exploration brought me back to this point too.  (If we even need it
at all.)

Some of the motivation for this exercise has been that some people feel
uncomfortable at inferred totality.  But, there's a good chance that
this discomfort is temporary -- this happens every time any sort of
implicitness is added to the language.   (People freaked out about var
at first too.)