Is case var(var x, var y) a valid syntax ?

Guy Steele guy.steele at oracle.com
Mon Sep 7 15:51:06 UTC 2020

I agree with Alan. While I believe that Rémi is correct insofar as you can write “var” in place of a type in any type pattern “T x”, in a deconstruction pattern “P(...) [d]” the occurrence of P is not a type; rather, it names a deconstructor. It does so happen that right now all deconstructors (like all constructors) share the name of an associated type, but it is important not to confuse them. You cannot replace a deconstructor name with “var” any more than you can write “new var()” or “new MyInterface()”.

—Guy