Reviewing feedback on patterns in switch

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Tue Jan 25 19:46:09 UTC 2022

We’ve previewed patterns in switch for two rounds, and have received some feedback.  Overall, things work quite well, but there were a few items which received some nontrivial feedback, and I’m prepared to suggest some changes based on them.  I’ll summarize them here and create a new thread for each with a more detailed description.

I’ll make a call for additional items a little later; for now, let’s focus on these items before adding new things (or reopening old ones.)

1.  Treatment of total patterns in switch / instanceof

2.  Positioning of guards

3.  Type refinements for GADTs

4.  Diamond for type patterns (and record patterns)