Proposal: java.lang.runtime.Carrier

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Wed Mar 9 17:23:19 UTC 2022

ClassSpecializer is designed for cases beyond generating tuples, where
some extra behavioral contract, and/or fixed field set, is required
across all the generated classes.

That said, ClassSpecializer should support tuple generation nicely, for
Carrier.

Maurizio’s point is a good one, although if I were Jim I’d hesitate
to use something complicated to generate classes for just this one
simple case.  OTOH, our sense of what is “simple” sometimes needs
adjustment.  In the end, the class file generation might be simple, but
the infrastructure of generating and registering classes (and allowing
them to be unloaded in some cases) is rather subtle, and maintainers
will thank us for centralizing it.

So, Jim, please do take a look at ClassSpecializer.  It’s there for
use cases like this one, even if in the end we don’t select it in this
use case.