<AWT Dev> Review Request for 6879044

Oleg Sukhodolsky son.two at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 20:44:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Mandy Chung <Mandy.Chung at sun.com> wrote:
> 6879044: Eliminate the dependency of logging from the JRE core/awt/swing
> classes
>
> Webrev:
>  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/6879044/webrev.00/

> messages in a similar way as Logger but it will only delegate to
> java.util.logging only when it is enabled.  LogManager and LogRecord are
> modified to support the platform loggers.  The users of PlatformLogger will
> continue to run if java.util.logging classes do not exist.

evaluation for 6879044 says:

Add a PlatformLogger class that mimics the default logging behavior
(output the log message to System.err with simple formatting) and
creates a java.util.logging.Logger only when the logging facility is
used by the application or a user-defined configuration is supplied.

which of two descriptions is correct one?

Also I wonder if it is ok to get possible better modularization by
adding dependency to Sun's internal API into public packages.

> 2. AWT, 2D, Swing, and a few java.util classes are modified to use
> PlatformLogger instead of Logger.  Although many files are modified, the
> change is mostly replacement with classname.

Well, at least in AWTEvent you have changed static initialization of
logger to lazy one.
Perhaps it is better to keep a static one to minimize your changes.

Oleg.