<AWT Dev> Reviewer needed - fix for regression test java/awt/Insets/WindowWithWarningTest/WindowWithWarningTest

Pavel Tisnovsky ptisnovs at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 07:37:33 PST 2010

Anthony Petrov wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> On 12/1/2010 4:09 PM, Pavel Tisnovsky wrote:
>> can anyone please review fix for regression test
>> java/awt/Insets/WindowWithWarningTest/WindowWithWarning?
>>
>> Webrev containing the fix is available at
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ptisnovs/WindowWithWarning/
>>

>> Brief description of the fix:
>>
>> This test must be run in an environment similar to sandbox used for
>> running regular applets, which among other things means that each window
>> created by the test itself has to be labelled by warning message "Java
>> Applet Window".
>>
>> But for this test to proceed it is also required
>> that AWT Robot is enabled (and it is disabled by default for applets,
>> which is reasonable, of course).
>>
>> To guarantee both conditions to run this test, I created new security
>> policy file containing option to enable AWT robot and then configured
>> the test itself to use this policy file, because JTreg harness usually
>> starts such tests (applets) without security manager installed.
>
> Right. That's why the test installs a custom security manager in its code.
>
> Could you please explain benefits of a separate .policy file over the
> current approach of setting the security manager directly in the test code?

Hi Anthony,

when the test calls System.setSecurityManager( new SecurityManager()
{...} ) then the new security manager is installed, but this kind of
security manager deny the AWT robot because it is the standard behaviour
of applets (users usually don't want the applet to control theirs mouse
and keyboard).

Pavel