<AWT Dev> Bug 6913179, FileDialog uses native GTK under Linux: first patch

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 05:38:06 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Costantino Cerbo <c.cerbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> 2010/1/26 Peter Zhelezniakov <Peter.Zhelezniakov at sun.com>:
>> Note that JFileChooser has some bells and whistles like setAccessory() and
>> setFileSystemView(). We're going to have hard time making GTK paint the
>> right thing =)  I'm not sure it is at all possible.
>
> I know... therefore I start this project to emulate the native GTK in Swing:
> http://code.google.com/p/gtkjfilechooser/
>
> Maybe the Awt and the Swing team may reconsider to adopt this solution
> in the next Java releases.
> As I already stated, I can fully donate the code to the OpenJDK
> project: consider it yours! ;-)

The GtkFileChooser seems fairly customizable: setAccessory() can be
implemented using gtk_file_chooser_set_preview_widget(), and the
filesystem view seems customizable too. You can also slot in custom
widgets (eg. an "Open read-only" checkbox).

Even if GtkFileChooser can't do something, you can embed
GtkFileChooserWidget into a larger window, and add any surrounding
widgets you like.

If you need help, let me know.

> Chreers,
> Costantino