<AWT Dev> xawt/libmawt.so and headless/libmawt.so

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Apr 20 04:01:32 PDT 2011

David Holmes wrote:

> libmawt.so is known to the VM. We use it with Embedded to detect if we
> are currently running our headless JRE or not: if xawt/libmawt.so (or
> motif21/libxawt.so) isn't present then it is an Embedded headless JRE.
>
> So any change here would have to be coordinated with a VM change.
>
> Glad I was subscribing to this list :)
I'm glad too. Do you think this could be done a different way? In
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment I see that isHeadless consults
getHeadlessProperty to determine if we are headless and one of the
things it checks is whether the DISPLAY variable is set. If this
additionally checked that libxawt.so is available then would it avoid
needing code in the VM?

-Alan.