<AWT Dev> Review request for 7142120: [macosx] Some JCK tests for SplashScreen fail on Mac OS X due to incorrect positioning of the splash

Anthony Petrov anthony.petrov at oracle.com
Mon Feb 6 08:49:45 PST 2012

Hi Artem,

BTW, the updated webrev is at
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~anthony/x-14-splashScreen-7142120.1/

Please find my comments inline.

On 2/6/2012 8:17 PM, Artem Ananiev wrote:

> On 2/3/2012 5:22 PM, Anthony Petrov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Please review a fix for http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=7142120
>> at:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~anthony/x-14-splashScreen-7142120.0/
>>
>> The fix is fairly simple: use NSScreen -frame instead of -visibleFrame.
>> In this case the splash screen is positioned in the geometrical center
>> of the screen. Visually this looks less pleasant (we may want to file an
>> RFE in the future), but makes tests happy which is what we need right
>> now.
>
> So what exactly do the tests expect? Does the test calculates the
> expected splashscreen position and compares to the value of
> SplashScreen.getBounds()? Does the latter method returns an incorrect
> value?
>
> What I see in JavaDoc is just: "The window is positioned at the center
> of the screen." It's unclear if the center of the screen should or
> should not include screen insets.

The test uses a 100x100 pixels image as a splash screen image. It then
calls the GraphicsDevice.getDisplayMode().getWidth/Height() methods and
expects to find the splash screen in the geometrical center of the
screen (using SplashScreen.getBounds()). I.e. the screen insets are ignored.

Given that the tests pass on Windows, Linux, and Solaris, it makes sense
to implement the same behavior on Mac OS X as well.

--
best regards,
Anthony