<AWT Dev> [7u6] Review request for 7159381: [macosx] Dock Icon defaults to Generic Java Application Category

Scott Kovatch scott.kovatch at oracle.com
Thu May 31 09:32:34 PDT 2012

On May 24, 2012, at 6:23 AM, Leonid Romanov <leonid.romanov at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Please review a fix for 7159381: [macosx] Dock Icon defaults to Generic Java Application Category. The problem here is that we ignore the fact that for the bundled app its icon might be specified via Info.plist file. In this case OS X sets the icon for us, so we don't have to do anything.
>
> Bug: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7159381
> Webrev:  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~leonidr/7159381/webrev.00/

I re-read the change after seeing the discussion about the app name, and I see that we are now separating the decision of which icon to use from the decision of which name to use, and that's definitely correct.

However, it looks like we will now override the application icon if an icon was specified via property name or if -Xdock:name was used. Is that intentional? If so I think it's worth a comment or two.

I _think_ this is the right way to go. In my opinion, it's a developer error if the application was bundled and the developer used CFBundleIconFile, but then also set apple.awt.application.icon or "-Xdock:icon=" in the Info.plist or in code.

What did Apple's JDK 6 do? I can't remember now. I think we should follow the rules set there, and document them one way or the other.

Any thoughts?

-- Scott K.