<AWT Dev> [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [8] Request for review: 8000629 [macosx] Blurry rendering with Java 7 on Retina display

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Tue Apr 9 02:54:28 PDT 2013

Hi, Jim.
On 4/9/13 1:19 AM, Jim Graham wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> Did you check for possible performance hits for the new transform
> save/compare code in BufferedContext?
I am not sure how it can be improved, because BufferedPaints.setPaint()
depends from the current transform of the sg2d.transform. And it should
be called, when sg2d.transform is changed.
> That is significantly more work per validate().
I guess in most common case only aftm.equals() was added.
> Also, isn't this case only used in the case where the caller specified
> a null xform in the argument list?  Does that happen (or, I guess, how
> does it happen) on a scaled graphics?
Yes this happens if xform is null, so only code under if (xform ==
null)  was changed.

> Something I didn't notice before - you adjust the max texture sizes in
> CGLGraphicsConfig by the device scale, but you adjust them by
> "getScaleFactor() * 2".  Why the "* 2"?
This is related to 7160609. The problem was in fact, that we create huge
texture during window initialization. In the fix I change this logic to
use GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE/2.
Separate CR:8010999 was created to track it.

> You removed a call to flushOnScreenGraphics in LWWindowPeer.  Was that
> just being paranoid before and really isn't needed?
Now it is called not only when the window is resized, but when the
surface is replaced. It was moved to replaceSurfaceData.

> It's already done and the code is written, but in retrospect, I'm not
> sure how much the optimizations in getTransform/setTransform are worth
> compared to the easy readability of having the transforms done
> linearly in a LIFO manner, such as:
>
> setTransform:
>     transform.setToIdentity();
>     if (cX|cY != 0) { transform.translate(cX, cY); }
>     if (dS != 1) transform.scale(dS, dS); }
>     transform.concatenate(Tx);
> getTransform:
>     tx = new AT(transform);
>     if (dS != 1) { tx.scale(invDs, invDs); }
>     if (cX|cY != 0) { tx.translate(-cX, -cY); }
>     return tx;
>
> (I don't think it should be changed, but I'm throwing it out there as
> food for thought as it may be easier to maintain in the future, but it
> could also change the performance as I'm just speculating from how I
> remember the optimizations work...)
When it was written, I was impressed by a code in the 2D.