<AWT Dev> [8] Review request for CR 8006406: lightweight embedding in other Java UI toolkits

Anthony Petrov anthony.petrov at oracle.com
Mon Feb 11 05:46:36 PST 2013

Hi Anton,

If I read your explanation correctly, the current calls chain is:

> popups -> SunToolkit.grab -> (JLightweightFrame)Window.grabFocus -> WindowPeer.grabFocus

I.e. we want to end up in WindowPeer.grabFocus() anyway. Note that for
non-lightweight frames we want to call WindowPeer.grabFocus() as well
(even though currently it's named e.g. WWindowPeer.grab() instead of
grabFocus(), etc.)

I suggest to reduce this call chain to just:

popups -> SunToolkit.grab -> WindowPeer.grabFocus

which would work for both lightweight and heavyweight frames.

In other words, I suggest to rename the current
*WindowPeer.grab()/ungrab() methods in all toolkits to "@Override
grab/ungrabFocus()", and implement the SunToolkit.grab/ungrab() as final
methods just delegating to the peer's methods. For lightweight frames,
the *LightweightFramePeer classes must delegate the requests to FX.

Note that we can't remove the SunToolkit.grab/ungrab() interface anyway
since JFXPanel code relies on it already. Therefore, I think that we
don't want to introduce the Window. (or currently just
LightweightFrame.)grab/ungrabFocus() API at this time. I believe that a
proper peer interface should be enough for now.

--
best regards,
Anthony

On 02/11/13 12:39, Anton V. Tarasov wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> JLightweightFrame overrides focusGrab/focusUngrab and forwards the calls
> to the client app. Ideally, when the grab API is public, it should be
> called directly via Window.focusGrab/focusUngrab. Currently it is called
> via SunToolkit.grab/ungrab (by swing popups). So, normal call chain
> should look like:
>
> popups -> (JLightweightFrame)Window.grabFocus -> WindowPeer.grabFocus
>
> Temporarily it's as follows:
>
> popups -> SunToolkit.grab -> (JLightweightFrame)Window.grabFocus ->
> WindowPeer.grabFocus
>
> If I called it directly it would be:
>
> popups -> SunToolkit.grab -> WindowPeer.grabFocus ->
> (JLightweightFrame)Window.grabFocus -> WindowPeer.grabFocus -> ...
>
> So, this is quite the reverse direction.
>
> Thanks,
> Anton.
>
> On 2/8/13 7:23 PM, Anthony Petrov wrote:
>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> src/windows/classes/sun/awt/windows/WToolkit.java
>>> 987 public void grab(Window w) {
>>> 991 if (w instanceof LightweightFrame) {
>>> 992 ((LightweightFrame)w).grabFocus();
>>> 993 return;
>>> 994 } 995 if (w.getPeer() != null) {
>>> 996 ((WWindowPeer)w.getPeer()).grab();
>>> 997 }