<AWT Dev> [9] Review Request: 8074757 Remove java.awt.Toolkit methods which return peer types

Anton V. Tarasov anton.tarasov at oracle.com
Fri Apr 10 08:52:36 UTC 2015

On 07.04.2015 17:28, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> On 03.04.15 20:14, Phil Race wrote:
>> It does not need to be deprecated. It can be 'undeprecated' It was deprecated only because
>> it was the public Toolkit method that is now gone ..
> Ok, I'll update it.
>> So perhaps there's just a small adjustment needed in the case of where we use createComponent() ??
> It is used in 3 places:
>  - Indirectly in Canvas and Panel where our headless toolkits creates NullComponentPeer instead of
> the native peer. So the question is this is implementation detail of our headless toolkit or all
> such toolkits should use the same things.
>  - In Component class I can reuse NullComponentPeer, but it is unclear how we survive this later
> when external tollkit is in use.
>
> If nobody objects then I suggest for now to use this new error as an assertion to find possible
> usage of these methods, instead of silent usage of some empty stub, and fail sometime later with
> unclear reason.

Hi Sergey,

I don't object throwing AWTError. However, if we still claim to support external toolkits at least
in headless env, then doesn't it make sense to clarify the error message?

+        throw new AWTError("Unsupported toolkit: " + toolkit);

to something like "Unsupported headful toolkit" or "Only headless custom toolkits are supported"?

Thanks,
Anton.