<AWT Dev> <Swing Dev> internal API usage: sun.awt.AppContext

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue Jun 2 19:10:38 UTC 2015

Alan,

AppContext was devised to support applets running in browsers
where the JDK internal classes were shared so were in need of
a way to provide a key that was unique to each running applet.
Note that the 'advertisement' is comments on the internal source code.
Unless your L&F is installed on the JDK bootclasspath of a
the VM running applets in a browser I am not sure how this
internal class is useful to it. Otherwise storing as static variables should
work since there will be a class per classloader.
If necessary you can roll your own that just uses the ThreadGroup
as a key to get to a map .. that's what it amounts to.

-phil.