<AWT Dev> <Awt Dev> [9] Review Request for 8134732: [TEST_BUG] Test java/awt/applet/Applet/AppletFlipBuffer.java fails on Windows with AWTException

Semyon Sadetsky semyon.sadetsky at oracle.com
Tue Sep 8 10:31:03 UTC 2015

On 9/8/2015 12:38 PM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> On 08.09.15 9:19, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:

>>> We can, because the list of exceptions is described in its docs, all
>>> other exceptions will mean a bug in implementation or in documentation.
>> But the test is essentially synthetic and it induces a lot of hardware
>> related code. So to state the above you need to investigate all
>> exception for all possible implementations. Did you do that?
>
> We call the one method only, this method has a list of exceptions. It
> is not necessary to check all methods, if we write a test correctly,
> because in this case the test finds all unspecified exceptions, which
> will causes a new CR. The test suggested by you simply skip such
> exceptions which means it skip the bugs, no?
No. The test aim is to check the fix that constructor accepts parameter
of a certain type. It cannot serve as flip buffer construction test
because it is _synthetic_: all parameters are adjusted to simulate a
specific lines coverage without taking into account the underlying
platform features. Without the investigation it will bring yet another
regression.