<AWT Dev> [9] Review Request: 6815345 java.awt.Component.createImage(int width, int height) should remove behavioral optionality

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Thu Sep 24 20:52:10 UTC 2015

On 24.09.15 20:16, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:

> On 9/24/2015 7:42 PM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

>>> You assumption can be broken with the next
>>>
>>> AWTAccessor.getComponentAccessor().setPeer(jbutton1,
>>>                  new ButtonPeer() {
>>>                      @Override
>>>                      public Image createImage(int width, int height) {
>>>                          return new BufferedImage(width, height,
>>> BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_RGB);
>>>                      }
>>>                  });
>>
>> AWTAccessor is unspecified thing, it is a safer version of reflection
>> which can break lots of things if used incorrectly. This api is for
>> internal use only.
>>

>>> Maybe it would be better to write about peer=null in the method spec?
>>
>> peer is a private field it cannot be mentioned in the specification.
>>
>> Or
>>> not to be that direct and leave the initial phrase mentioning
>>> isHeadless()?
>>
>   I read this article:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javase/headless-136834.html.
> As I understand peer is not strictly disabled for the headless mode,

The native peers are disabled in such configurations.

> because some native resources like fonts, printing and images can be
> used. In headless mode peer#getImage()/getVolatileImage() can be used to
> construct native images, so they must not return null.

The peers is just some internal utility classes, they can return
anything they want. But if we pass/return results of the call to the
peer, we should follow the public specification. In this case the public
spec states that we should return null in headless, so all peers which
are used in headless (like NullComponentPeer) should return null. And in
the same time all hw peers should return non-null value in heedful mode.

Maybe
> Component#getImage() implementation should simply check for isHeadless()
> and return null?
>
> You specified isHeadless()=true that describes the whole environment.

This is not me. Even before the fix the specification of these methods
mention that they always return null in the headless environment. This
fix change the first sentence about displayable components(according to
the current behavior) and also synchronize the spec between
createVolatileImage(also according current behavior) methods.

> Why isHeadlessInstance()=true is not mentioned?What if the whole
> environment is not headless but this component's graphics is headless?

I guess this is because the first method was added first.

> And more global question: Why should we disable the creating of
> component image buffer for the headless mode?It could be used for the
> same performance reason as in non-headless.

in the headless mode we cannot create most of the hw components,
actually non of top level window can be created. And for lw components
like in swing the one global buffer is used in the RepaintManager.