<AWT Dev> [9] Review request for 8132706 [macosx] Toolkit.getImage() throws NPE for null URL

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Mon Apr 18 16:55:09 UTC 2016

On 18.04.16 18:36, Alexander Scherbatiy wrote:
> On 4/15/2016 10:55 PM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
>> On 15.04.16 21:49, Phil Race wrote:
>>> I think that even if no exception is thrown we ought to document what
>>> happens.
>>> Which of course means that we need to be sure that it does happen :-)
>>> And the difference depending on SM may be hard to defend.
>>> And I am referring to both methods, not just the URL one.
>>
>> The spec of checkImage/prepareImage both return incorrect status in
>> case of null, seems both should throw NPE also. otherwise they report
>> null as a valid fully loaded image.
>
>     Could you give more details why do you think that
> checkImage/prepareImage methods return incorrect status in case of null
> file path/URL?
>     The checkImage just returns a status of an image construction
> "Information on the flags returned by this method can be found with the
> discussion of the ImageObserver interface." and the prepareImage()
> redirects all results to the ImageObserver.

Because the checkImage() return ALLBITS loaded for the null image which
means that "all image data is currently available".
prepareImage() will return true for null, which means that "the image
has already been fully prepared"and ready for rendering, note that an
observer is not called that there are some errors. At lest this two
methods should be investigated.

>    For example the call of Toolkit.getImage(file) method with path which
> does not point to a file does not lead to the FileNotFoundException. The
> ToolkitImage is created and just wait for the time when it is loaded.
> Only during loading the ImageObserver is called with ABORT info flag.

There is a difference between incorrect parameters and some loading
errors. For example createImage(byte[] imagedata,...) throws an
exception because there is no sense to load the image from null array,
the same for URL/File. ImageIO uses the same scheme(throws an exception
if it is obvious that load of the image data will fail). Passing a null
value to this api is a bug in the program, and it will be good to report
it early.