<AWT Dev> <Swing Dev>[9] Review Request JDK-8151787 Unify the HiDPI splash screen image naming convention

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue Aug 16 16:57:58 UTC 2016

On 08/16/2016 09:41 AM, Alexandr Scherbatiy wrote:

> The fix looks good to me.
>
> It would be better if a native speaker look at the documentation
> change in the launcher.properties file.

That documentation seems to cover only *some* of the extensions we
discussed.
It ought to cite all of them if it does so at all. How else are people
supposed
to know what they can use ? Where else are you documenting it?
Perhaps the launcher "man" page should be updated too
find . -name java.1
./src/linux/doc/man/java.1
./src/linux/doc/man/ja/java.1
./src/bsd/doc/man/java.1
./src/bsd/doc/man/ja/java.1
./src/solaris/doc/sun/man/man1/java.1
./src/solaris/doc/sun/man/man1/ja/java.1

.. although I think there is also some HTML version maintained by the
pubs/docs team
that is not in OpenJDK - the above does not include Windows or Mac.
I don't know offhand what is recommended these days. We'll have to find
someone
who does more with the launcher to help point to where to do the
documentation.

And the doc does not really explain what is going on here. Reading that
I might
think I am supposed to pass -splash:image at 2x.ext if I want a hi-dpi image
and that is not the idea at all, is it ?
The idea is you would still specify -splash:image.ext and the
*implementation*
will look for the most appropriate scaled image for the current desktop.

I think we should also have a CCC cover this (somehow).

-phil.