<AWT Dev> RFR: 8154546: Retire sun.misc.GThreadHelper

Philip Race philip.race at oracle.com
Thu May 12 15:36:58 UTC 2016

On 5/12/16, 7:34 AM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> On 12.05.16 17:23, Philip Race wrote:
>>> Probably we should skip the loading of glib >= 2.2 <=2.29 and bump the
>>> minumum version to 2.20/2.24? This will eliminate the possibility of
>>> the crash.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by "skip loading". Where does 2.29 come into
>> this ?
>
> typo: I meant 2.20
>
>> And glib_check_version is available only from 2.6 onward.
>>
>> A crash will still happen on 2.20 with multiple calls.
>> Do you mean skip all checking and just "require" 2.24
>
> Yes, because otherwise it will crash if someone will try to load this
> library. And I assume that we remove this API because all our
> supported platforms support >=2.24, isn't?

It is removed because JavaFX no longer uses it and FX will require a higher
base supported version of OEL/RHEL than Java SE.

But it is still useful in determining if some other random piece of code
loads GTK
with GLIB 2.20 or 2.22 for example.

So we are (slightly) more likely to crash if I remove this code than if
I leave it.
I certainly don't see how removing it *prevents* all crashes.

Think of this fix as really just being about the removal of GThreadHelper
since FX was the only one who used it and it no longer uses it and not
about implicitly bumping the Java SE requirements.
That can be done later if things become more clear.

Is that OK ?

-phil.