<AWT Dev> [8u] Review request for 8157838 Personalized Windows Font Size is not taken into account in Java8u102

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Fri May 27 23:12:26 UTC 2016

-Phil.

> On May 27, 2016, at 2:23 PM, Alexandr Scherbatiy <alexandr.scherbatiy at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> The following article claims that DPI virtualization of not DPI–aware applications is available from Windows Vista:
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn469266%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>
> I just tried to set dpiAware=false in the java.manifest file on my Windows 7 and the whole Java application was scaled.

That sounds wrong since we still have the api call.

> It looks like that for platforms from Windows Windows 8 and higher the

Where do you read this comes into effect from Windows 8 ?

> fix JDK-8076545 can be reverted because the Windows OS can automatically scale an application.
> For Windows XP the fix JDK-8076545 needs to be  reverted to take the personalized windows font into account.

.. And xp ..

> I run SwingSet2 on JDK 8u with the dpiAware=false option on Windows 7 with scale 150% and  Windows 8.1 with scale 200% and found nothing wrong with it.

What does "nothing wrong mean" ?
It seems to contradict what you just said about w7 auto scaling your app.

> As I understand, the fix JDK-6829055 Update application manifests with new Windows 7 dpiAware section
> was just an improvement.
>
> Should I remove the dpiAware option from the java.manifiest file in the current fix as well?

I already said we should not do that.

There may be surprises like fx not calling the api so now no one does and you will regress that.

Phil