<AWT Dev> [9] Review request for 8169133: This time, on Windows: java/awt/Robot/SpuriousMouseEvents/SpuriousMouseEvents.java

Semyon Sadetsky semyon.sadetsky at oracle.com
Tue Nov 29 16:18:29 UTC 2016

On 11/29/2016 6:09 PM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

> On 29.11.16 17:47, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:
>>> If the same coordinate system is shared by both screens, means that
>>> each point passed to the robot will be related to the(0,0). It is not
>>> necessary the (left/top) point of the screen because the screen itself
>>> can be shifted from the (0,0)/
>> That would mean that both coordinate systems are equivalent and belong
>> to the main screen. But requested robot should belong to the screen
>> pointed by the constructor argument.
>
> It should belong to the screen *coordinate system*. The starting point
> of the coordinate system is (0,0). If two screens share coordinate
> space mean that there are no differences on which screen the robot was
> created.
For that case one need to use the robot which was created by no-arg
constructor. For the specific screen robot its origin should be the
screen origin because only in this case an application used such robot
will act equally on extended and separated screens.

>>> The whole application will use the coordinate system of the second
>>> monitor, because this is separate standalone screen.

>>> The robot should always use the coordinate system of the screen, in
>>> the same way as TopLevel windows use it.
>> Where is this specified? Is the "TopLevel window" available to user
>> through any java API?
>
> "TopLevel window" are Frames, Windows, etc. the API is
> Component.getLocationOnScreen();
This API is a screen unaware and only compatible with the robot without
screen attribute.