<AWT Dev> RFR: JDK-8165232 XKeycodeToKeysym is deprecated and should be replaced with XkbKeycodeToKeysym

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue Sep 6 20:42:05 UTC 2016

On 9/6/2016 1:14 PM, Alan Burlison wrote:
> On 06/09/2016 20:29, Phil Race wrote:
>
>> You are removing this : native method
>>
>> Java_sun_awt_X11_XlibWrapper_XKeycodeToKeysym There is no explanation
>> about this .. and unless you discovered this method is obsolete (never
>> called) it seems like it should also be updated .. not deleted. And
>> since I see it called from XToolkit.java it appears updating is what is
>> needed. You would then also need to revert the mapfile change.
>
> Hmm, yes - good point... If
> Java_sun_awt_X11_XlibWrapper_XKeycodeToKeysym is only ever used within
> the AWT code then it could be replaced by calling
> Java_sun_awt_X11_XlibWrapper_XkbKeycodeToKeysym (which already exists).

These are all internal-only entry points
So if that exists (I did not know that it did) then I think you have a
few options but the most forward looking
is to get rid of all references to the deprecated methods and migrate
all uses (inc. Java land ones) to the new code.

The declaration in XlibWrapper.java would need to be deleted.
And BTW if that is done then javac will helpfully find all the places
that you need to fix .. assuming no use of reflection.

-phil.