<AWT Dev> RFR: JDK-8165232 XKeycodeToKeysym is deprecated and should be replaced with XkbKeycodeToKeysym

Philip Race philip.race at oracle.com
Sun Sep 25 00:04:29 UTC 2016

   94     KeySym *key_syms = XGetKeyboardMapping(display, keycode, index + 1,&num_syms);

I might be mis-reading the API but the docs as I read it have argument 3
as a count .. so it should be 1 here, should it not ?

https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/input/XGetKeyboardMapping.html

As written I have a suspicion you will at some point run into an X
BadValue error

The docs say :-
"In addition, the following expression must be less than or equal
to max_keycode as returned by XDisplayKeycodes():

     first_keycode + keycode_count - 1
"

To be truly robust here we should somewhere obtain and probably cache
"first key code" and max_keycode.

https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/input/XDisplayKeycodes.html
I say cache since you don't want two X calls every time.

Then if the requested code is outside that ... just return NoSymbol I
suppose.

Furthermore

KeySym ks = key_syms[index];

then looks very wrong. You want "0" here .. not index, don't you?
So I must be completely misunderstanding this X API if this is working
for you.

I am also a bit unclear how we know that the first keysym listed for the
keycode from the list is the one we want ?

-phil.