<AWT Dev> MacOS: precise scrolling is too fast

Sergey Malenkov malenkov at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 22:38:14 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

JetBrains has some problems to continue Oracle support, and I have no
ability to submit a CR for now.  But there is a critical issue in AWT
scrolling after Sierra have been released.
http://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8166591

I solved this issue in our custom JDK:
http://sites.google.com/site/malenkov/java/160926

This fix is safe for existing third-party code, but it removes support
of precise scrolling. It is OK for now, because Swing does not support
it. I can provide another fix, but it may affect third-party
developers and requires additional changes in Swing. For example, the
following bug must be fixed in another way:
http://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-7141296
I think there are may be other issues, but I have not access to
test/closed repository to check this. Could you please move UI tests
to open-source like I did for java.beans?

I see the following steps to do:
1. fix 8166591 for comfortable scrolling in Sierra
- apply my fix (simple and almost safe) or update it
  to restore precise scrolling and fix all usages of MouseWheelEvent
2. implement new feature: Precise scrolling in Swing
- now it uses integers only
3. implement new feature: Imitate native scroll bars on Mac

I'll try to raise the issue severity as soon as we restore access to
Oracle support.

--
Best regards,
Sergey A. Malenkov