<AWT Dev> [10] JDK-8178361: JFileChooser does not allow to open folders with a double tap when using the touch screen interface

Anton Litvinov anton.litvinov at oracle.com
Tue Oct 3 14:08:24 UTC 2017

Hello Shashi, Alexey and Sergey,

Shashi, I know that "WM_GESTURE" is mutually exclusive with "WM_TOUCH"
which is used by my fix for JDK-8166772, according to the next quotation
from the MSDN page
(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd371581(v=vs.85).aspx).
"Note  By default, you receive WM_GESTURE messages instead of WM_TOUCH
messages. If you call RegisterTouchWindow, you will stop receiving
WM_GESTURE messages."

Sergey, Alexey and Shashi,

I debugged this issue (JDK-8178361), identified the root cause of this
bug and created my own 2 line length alternative version of the fix for
this bug. This bug is a bug in JDK and is not caused by lack of support
of the touch input by JDK on Windows OS. My fix does not involve any
touch input API. Please review my fix and find the explanation of the
root cause of the bug.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alitvinov/8178361/jdk10/webrev.00

THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE BUG:
The event "java.awt.event.MouseEvent.MOUSE_CLICKED" is not sent from the
native method "AwtComponent::WmMouseUp" to the event queue for
"WM_LBUTTONUP" message related to the second touch (tap) of the double
touch user action. Tracing shows that in reality:

1.  During a double click and a double touch "AwtComponent" window
always receives 2 pairs of "WM_LBUTTONDOWN/WM_LBUTTONUP" messages, thus
JDK already has support of the double touch action via
"WM_LBUTTONDOWN/WM_LBUTTONUP" messages.
2.1.  For each "WM_LBUTTONDOWN" in "AwtComponent::WmMouseDown" JDK sends
1 "java.awt.event.MouseEvent" (MOUSE_PRESSED).
2.2.  For each "WM_LBUTTONUP" in "AwtComponent::WmMouseUp" JDK sends 2
"java.awt.event.MouseEvent" (MOUSE_RELEASED, MOUSE_CLICKED).

However, when the double touch is done "MOUSE_CLICKED" event is not sent
for "WM_LBUTTONUP" from the 2nd pair of "WM_LBUTTONDOWN/WM_LBUTTONUP"
messages, because "m_mouseButtonClickAllowed" equals "0" and the next
condition in "AwtComponent::WmMouseUp" is not satisfied:

     if ((m_mouseButtonClickAllowed & GetButtonMK(button)) != 0) {
//CLICK allowed
         SendMouseEvent(java_awt_event_MouseEvent_MOUSE_CLICKED,
                        ::JVM_CurrentTimeMillis(NULL, 0), x, y,
GetJavaModifiers(),
                        clickCount, JNI_FALSE, GetButton(button));
     }

It occurs, because between the 2nd pair of the messages
"WM_LBUTTONDOWN/WM_LBUTTONUP" the messages "WM_MOUSEMOVE" arrive, so
"x", "y" coordinates of "WM_LBUTTONDOWN", "WM_LBUTTONUP" are different.
JDK handles "WM_MOUSEMOVE", and in "AwtComponent::WmMouseMove" this
event is treated as "dragging" and the next expression is executed.

     "m_mouseButtonClickAllowed = 0;"

Therefore in "AwtComponent::WmMouseUp" it is decided not to send
"java.awt.event.MouseEvent.MOUSE_CLICKED" for the end of dragging.

THE FIX:
The fix allows to send "java.awt.event.MouseEvent.MOUSE_CLICKED" event
from "AwtComponent::WmMouseUp" for the case, when "clickCount" exceeds
"1". If JDK already associates 2 "WM_LBUTTONDOWN" messages in
"AwtComponent::WmMouseDown" as a double or triple click, then it is
possible to consider that no dragging happened between these messages.

Thank you,
Anton