<AWT Dev> [10] JDK-8178361: JFileChooser does not allow to open folders with a double tap when using the touch screen interface

Shashidhara Veerabhadraiah shashidhara.veerabhadraiah at oracle.com
Mon Sep 18 15:58:53 UTC 2017

Hi All, Please review this software changes for the enhancement JDK-8178361.

Issue: Request was filed to enable the touch event processing for Java client applications.

Fix: Windows platform offers 'pointer' implementation thro' which one can tap for the touch inputs as well. A typical 'pointer' function may contain touch, pen, touch pad or mouse inputs. This allows for a uniform input processing though the event source may defer. This fix enables the 'touch' events(via TOUCH pointer) to be passed to the components using the other type of pointer 'mouse'. Essentially there is a conversion put in place to convert a touch event input into a left click mouse event. I think this is the right thing to do considering desktop scenarios to which the typical Java applications that gets exposed to. This is also the same behavior on my touch enabled windows 10 laptop as well. Please let me know if a different behavior is expected. Below is the output:

Now touch event works as a typical mouse left click as in general. But there is an issue because the icon size of the Java UI is typically small, touching that icon exactly is sometimes difficult. This is handled by an Windows application by having larger icon size or icon view as a standard. Hence I believe this is outside the scope this software update. Any changes to it would be done later as a new bug or an enhancement.

Bug ID: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8178361

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sveerabhadra/8178361/webrev.00/

Thanks and regards,

Shashi