<AWT Dev> <Swing Dev> [10] Review request for 8182043: Access to Windows Large Icons

Alexey Ivanov alexey.ivanov at oracle.com
Fri Sep 22 16:43:44 UTC 2017

Hi Semyon,

On 22/09/2017 17:13, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> Thank you for your exact clarification.
>
> On 09/22/2017 04:22 AM, Alexey Ivanov wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> As for FILE_ICON_SMALL and FILE_ICON_LARGE, I'd suggest using Windows
>> API to retrieve the recommended size for small and large icon size
>> rather than defaulting to 16×16 and 32×32. If HiDPI is in effect, the
>> icons must be larger.
> I also found this as most suitable approach for the moment.
> Later this may be changed, for example, if Swing JFC is re-factored to
> support shell determined icon sizes at HiDPI.

Swing UI scales to accommodate HiDPI settings. If fonts are larger then
icons should be larger too. Otherwise icons are too small compared to
surrounding text.

Anyway it could be postponed to a later fix.

Does it make sense to declare the standard sizes of 16×16 and 32×32 as
constants at least in Java sources? This way, it would be easier to find
the places in code where a change is necessary.

Regards,
Alexey