<AWT Dev> Proposal:AIX's IME support

Ichiroh Takiguchi takiguc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Apr 9 09:09:25 UTC 2018

Hello,
IBM would like to propose another Input Method Framework (IMF)
implementation against IBM AIX platform.
Same IMF implementation was used by IBM Java8 for AIX.
IBM would like to contribute this IMF implementation to OpenJDK project.

AIX's Input Method Editor (IME) working behavior is not same as Linux's
and Solaris' one.
On OpenJDK JDK9 for AIX, users cannot input any East Asian character
with their locale by this IME.
We think this situation is critical.
Put modified files under src/java.desktop/aix/* directories in order not
to affect the other unix platform.

I'd like contribute following 4 files:
M make/lib/Awt2dLibraries.gmk
A src/java.desktop/aix/classes/sun/awt/X11InputMethod.java
A src/java.desktop/aix/native/libawt_xawt/awt/awt_InputMethod.c
A src/java.desktop/aix/native/libawt_xawt/xawt/XlibWrapper.c

We need to apply too many changes including JNI, so we copied following
3 files from unix directory to aix directory:
* src/java.desktop/unix/classes/sun/awt/X11InputMethod.java
* src/java.desktop/unix/native/libawt_xawt/awt/awt_InputMethod.c
* src/java.desktop/unix/native/libawt_xawt/xawt/XlibWrapper.c
Then, we modified them.

I'd appreciate any feedback please, and how I would go about obtaining a
sponsor and contributor?

Thanks,
Ichiroh Takiguchi
IBM Japan, Ltd.