<AWT Dev> RFR: JDK-8194327 [macos] AWT windows have incorrect main/key window behaviors

Alan Snyder javalists at cbfiddle.com
Tue Apr 17 01:25:57 UTC 2018

Hi Sergey,

There is one other factor needed to explain the zombie color panel: The program is leaving behind stale window data, specifically, descriptions of windows that were closed prior to the termination of the program. The cause of this stale data is that AWT does not terminate the NSApplication that it created. When the NSApplication is terminated, it deletes the window data if there are no open windows.

The failure to terminate the NSApplication has not been a problem in general because AWT windows are not capable of being restored in a new process, but NSColorPanel is. I have now seen this problem in my own (bundled) application, which allows the user to bring up a color panel. The only observable flaw for most AWT applications is the saved state directories left behind. In the future, however, AWT windows could be given the ability to be recreated in a new process. That, and the possibility that NSApplication might do more cleanup in future macOS releases, would argue for fixing this problem.

The solution is to invoke [NSApp terminate], but that is tricky because it also terminates the process (it does not return).

My recommendation is to put this test on the problem list until the NSApplication problem is solved.

Regards,

  Alan