<AWT Dev> [13] JDK-8218917: KeyEvent.getModifiers() returns inconsistent values for ALT keys

Krishna Addepalli krishna.addepalli at oracle.com
Mon Mar 11 10:53:10 UTC 2019

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for proposing a patch.
The feature of ALT_GR support on Mac was not done by me, however looking at the bug, and the fact that Mac doesn’t have “AltGR” key, I’m wondering if it makes sense to have code that emits ALT_GR code?

Also, even if we wanted to support it, I wouldn’t want to do it as a compile time flag. Ideally, it should be a flag that can be turned on/off at run time via a system property.

@Manajit, could you throw some light on why it was decided to implement this behaviour on Mac vis a vis disabling all those tests that rely on this behaviour for Mac?

Thanks,
Krishna