<AWT Dev> [13] JDK-8218917: KeyEvent.getModifiers() returns inconsistent values for ALT keys

Sergey Malenkov malenkov at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 10:18:28 UTC 2019

Hi Sergey,

> I am not sure what does it meant "forget about Meta", if the code does not care
> about "altGr"/"meta/mouse_buttons" it should not use it as off/onnmask and as a result it should ignore it.
> BTW it is not missed in the JavaDoc:
> https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.desktop/java/awt/event/InputEvent.html#field.summary

That is I am talking about!
Consider opposite point of view. If the code care about these buttons,
your fix breaks the code, because Alt became AltGr unexpectedly.

> > I believe that the example in the javadoc is not entirely correct.
>
> Why it is incorrect?

Because on Mac it considers that Alt+F and Alt+Meta+F are equal.
And junior developer will be surprised.

--
Best regards,
Sergey A. Malenkov