<AWT Dev> RFR: 8232744 j.awt.Window::setShape(Shape) paints visible artifacts outside of the given shape

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Thu Apr 9 00:03:01 UTC 2020

On 4/6/20 12:24 pm, Philip Race wrote:
> If we have to add anything I prefer the following :
>
> Visual effects such as halos, shadows, motion effects and animations may
> be added by the desktop and affect the actual or perceived position, dimensions
> or shape of the window.
> These are usually outside the knowledge and control of the JDK and so for the
> purposes of this specification are not considered part of the AWT-specified window.

Are this text more clear than my version? I create it using the text forms/terms which
are already present in the javadoc.

The text where we describe bounds/location optionality:
  126  * Note: the location and size of top-level windows (including
  127  * {@code Window}s, {@code Frame}s, and {@code Dialog}s)
  128  * are under the control of the desktop's window management system.
  129  * Calls to {@code setLocation}, {@code setSize}, and
  130  * {@code setBounds} are requests (not directives) which are
  131  * forwarded to the window management system.  Every effort will be
  132  * made to honor such requests.  However, in some cases the window
  133  * management system may ignore such requests, or modify the requested
  134  * geometry in order to place and size the {@code Window} in a way
  135  * that more closely matches the desktop settings.

The new text about visual perception:
  137  * The visual appearance and behavior of top-level windows (including
  138  * normal/shaped/translucent/undecorated {@code Window}s, {@code Frame}s,
  139  * {@code Dialog}s) are under the control of the desktop's window management
  140  * system. The visual effects as shadows, motion effects, animations,
  141  * and others may not be controlled by the applications but work according to
  142  * the desktop settings.

Both look aligned.