<AWT Dev> RFR: 8208747: [a11y] [macos] In Optionpane Demo, inside ComponentDialog Example, unable to navigate to all items, with VO on

Pankaj Bansal pbansal at openjdk.java.net
Thu May 20 12:32:32 UTC 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021 10:44:05 GMT, Alexander Zuev <kizune at openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Is there a reason it is not causing an issue in case if JList? JList also has elements inside a container, but I see that we can navigate the elements in JList though there is also one issue that the VO always says "1 on n" (n is total number of elements) on selecting any element of list. I am just wondering why is this only needed for combobox and other components seem to work fine.
>
> It is by far is not limited with JList. It also affects menu navigation with the accessibility shortcuts - in open menu with AS we can'[t walk past first item. It is particularly bad in JList because traversing trough JList causes a lot of events to be generated such as selection/deselection of the list elements, focus change and such. This causes OS to re-evaluate the current selection by asking either container or child about the current selection index and that is what generates so fierce special effect of multiple selection and selections changing because depending on the order in which system events got populated and developed we update selection in different (but always incorrect) order.

No I did not mean this. The current bug is about selection issue in combobox. User can not navigate the combobox items using VO using the VO hot Keys and is always stuck on first element. Your change is fixing that error.

What I am asking is why the same issue is not observed in JList. Current issue is not present in JList and user can navigate the items using VO in JList. The VO output is always like "1 of n" (n is number of items) and this is also an issue, but I can navigate properly. I think the logic would be similar to navigate in the children and it should not cause issue in one component and not cause issue in other.
Also, I tried to navigate the items in Menu and I am able to navigate the items properly using VO keys + Up/Down keys.  So the issue is not present there as well.

I have mostly used SwingSet2 and demos from https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/examples/components/index.html to test these 3 components. I am just trying to find if there is something else done in wrong way in Combobox which is correct in JList and Menu. That may be the correct/better approach to this issue.