hg: bsd-port/bsd-port/hotspot: 2 new changesets

Kurt Miller kurt at intricatesoftware.com
Mon Jan 31 15:27:53 PST 2011

Hi Henri,

On Monday 31 January 2011 04:45:29 pm Henri Gomez wrote:
> > Thanks for the test results Henri. I have reverted the change since it
> > doesn't work for both jdk6 and self bootstrap. For short term I have
> > disabled the test_gamma script so that bsd-port can be built using
> > any valid bootstrap jdk (1.6 or 1.7). When both 1.6 and self bootstrap
> > works, we can re-enable it.
>
> Do you recommand OpenJDK 6 or 1.7 ?
>
> Whatever are fine for me but OpenJDK 1.7 for OpenJDK 1.7 make me think
> at chicken and eggs ;)

Yup. :-)

Traditionally, the jdk can use the last major version for bootstrap and itself.
The results are the same so it realy comes down to whatever is easiest for
the builder.

I do however use self bootstrap as a method to check the current build is
working well enough to handle building itself. Also for the ppc/zero build
there isn't a jdk 1.6 available to use so self bootstrap is the only option.

Regards,
-Kurt