RFR: 8277299: STACK_OVERFLOW in Java_sun_awt_shell_Win32ShellFolder2_getIconBits [v3]

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.java.net
Fri Dec 3 13:46:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 22:05:00 GMT, Alexander Zuev <kizune at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Made colorBits and maskBits arrays dynamic so they are allocated on heap instead of stack.
>> Added regression test.
>
> Alexander Zuev has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Eliminate potential resource leak.

Changes requested by aivanov (Reviewer).

src/java.desktop/windows/native/libawt/windows/ShellFolder2.cpp line 1068:

> 1066:             }
> 1067:
> 1068:             if (colorBits != NULL) {

I think this way defeats the use of exception to handle allocation error. You could use:
```c++
long *colorBits = (long*)malloc(MAX_ICON_SIZE * MAX_ICON_SIZE * sizeof(long));
if (colorBits != NULL) {

to achieve the same effect, which is shorter and clearer.

src/java.desktop/windows/native/libawt/windows/ShellFolder2.cpp line 1102:

> 1100:                 }
> 1101:                 // Release DC
> 1102:                 ReleaseDC(NULL, dc);

The DC has to be released even if `colorBits` allocation failed, so this needs to be after `if (colorBits != NULL)`.