RFR: 8277463: JFileChooser with Metal L&F doesn't show non-canonical UNC path in - Look in

Prasanta Sadhukhan psadhukhan at openjdk.java.net
Fri Dec 10 10:11:12 UTC 2021

On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 08:59:55 GMT, Masanori Yano <myano at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I would like to fix the bug reported in JDK-8277463.
>
> As reporter's investigation, ShellFolder.getNormalizedFile() returns incorrect value for non-canonical Windows UNC path. getNormalizedFile() is used for symbolic link path, but Windows environment does not handle symbolic link. And, getCanonicalFile() returns correct path for a directory link in Windows which is made with `mklink` command. So getNormalizedFile() should perform to return getCanonicalFile() like WindowsFileChooserUI.addItem() at Windows environment.

I am not able to reproduce the issue even without the fix. How did you reproduce?
I tried "\\\< mypcname>\dir.." and I could see "Documents" folder in "Look In" combobox of filechooser..It supposed to be empty for bug to be reproduced..
If  I put in \\\< mypcname> in Windows Run prompt, I get no folder btw so no "dir" is present in my \\\< mypcname> folder actually and it does not allow me to create one in that \\\< mypcname> folder