RFR: JDK-8276809: java/awt/font/JNICheck/FreeTypeScalerJNICheck.java shows JNI warning on Windows [v2]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.java.net
Mon Nov 15 02:54:35 UTC 2021

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 07:57:57 GMT, Matthias Baesken <mbaesken at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> The new test java/awt/font/JNICheck/FreeTypeScalerJNICheck.java introduced with https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8269223 adds -Xcheck:jni to an awt related test, and shows on Windows server 2019 the following JNI warning , so the test  JNICheck/FreeTypeScalerJNICheck.java fails on this Windows version.
>>
>> :stdErr:
>> Thu Oct 28 01:27:10 CEST 2021
>> stdout: [WARNING in native method: JNI call made without checking exceptions when required to from CallStaticVoidMethodV
>>                at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(java.desktop at 18.0.0.1-internal/Native Method)
>>                at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplayWrapper(java.desktop at 18.0.0.1-internal/Win32GraphicsEnvironment.java:95)
>>                at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(java.desktop at 18.0.0.1-internal/Win32GraphicsEnvironment.java:63)
>>                at sun.awt.PlatformGraphicsInfo.createGE(java.desktop at 18.0.0.1-internal/PlatformGraphicsInfo.java:34)
>>                at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment$LocalGE.createGE(java.desktop at 18.0.0.1-internal/GraphicsEnvironment.java:93)
>>                at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment$LocalGE.<clinit>(java.desktop at 18.0.0.1-internal/GraphicsEnvironment.java:84)
>>                at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(java.desktop at 18.0.0.1-internal/GraphicsEnvironment.java:106)
>>                at FreeTypeScalerJNICheck.runTest(FreeTypeScalerJNICheck.java:53)
>>                at FreeTypeScalerJNICheck.main(FreeTypeScalerJNICheck.java:44)
>>
>> We can get rid of the warning by adjusting a JNU_CallStaticMethodByName call in awt_Win32GraphicsEnv.cpp .
>
> Matthias Baesken has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Add a J2dTraceLn call

We have issues running in debug mode even in headful mode - https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8264773
I think this PR should be withdrawn. We need a holistic look at making sure we run properly in debug builds on windows when we get time.
In other words don't try to fix up individual tests, especially by suppressing the error.