RFR: 8277497 Last column cell in the JTAble row is read as empty cell [v3]

Sergey Bylokhov serb at openjdk.java.net
Fri Nov 26 01:58:14 UTC 2021

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 12:57:20 GMT, Artem Semenov <asemenov at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/JLabel.java line 1091:
>>
>>> 1089:                     (JLabel.this.getIcon() != null)) {
>>> 1090:                 name = ResourceBundle.getBundle("com.sun.accessibility.internal.resources.accessibility", Locale.getDefault()).getString("image");
>>> 1091:             }
>>
>> Probably it should somehow ask the icon itself about possible description? I guess the JLabel should work similar to Icon/ImageIcon/AccessibleImageIcon/etc when the text is empty but the icon is set. But I am not sure that the iicons are supported by the a11y in Swing, for example how the reader will cover the simple Icon? Will it say something?
>
> Done. thank you very much.

I few questions to thinking about:
 - If the label and icon is not accessible then should we say something? Or we should ignore it like we do for any other non-accessible components?
 - Why the image text is used, don't we need to use the "javax.accessibility.AccessibleRole#ICON" role for such label/icon and allow the reader to say something standard for the icon. Does the voiceover has some default text for the icon/image when the alt text is not set?