RFR: 8017175: [TESTBUG] javax/swing/JPopupMenu/4634626/bug4634626.java sometimes failed on mac [v2]

Alexander Zuev kizune at openjdk.java.net
Fri Oct 29 05:13:16 UTC 2021

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 19:27:31 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> I think that was changed 15 years ago or so somewhere before the release of the JDK5 the spec was updated
>>
>> Ok, i will fix that in this particular test for the sake of getting a closure on it but it seems wrong to me on so many levels. And it is no surprise so many automated Swing tests are failing intermittently  - they were written according the old notion of the Swing component lifecycle and was never updated to reflect the backwards incompatible change we accidentally did. Shame. But that's a topic to discuss and dig deeper later.
>
> We did not change the behavior of the Swing, it works the same before and after that spec update. That tests were broken from the beginning and this is why they are unstable, and this is why the requirements were changed.

You contradict yourself. There were a concept of cold and hot times in component life cycle called non-realized and realized component. It was specified. Test were written according the specification. Failing to follow specification would have considered a bug. Some of the projects were relying on that concept. User code were relying on that concept because they were taught by us and by tutorials officially approved and endorsed by us. Then tests started failing, customers started submitting bugs and we discovered that that is because we do not follow specification we wrote. The bugs were reported against specific version and they were not present in the previous version - means the bugs were results of our changes - remember, that was at the times when there were virtually no external contribution so whatever caused the specification break was our deed. And instead of fixing it we gave up and changed specification. This is a definition of backward incompatible change and in my opini
 on pure "we can not fix this bug, let's call it a feature" approach.