RFR: 8273355: Lanai: Flickering on tooltip appearance IntelliJ IDEA 2021.2.1

Alexey Ushakov avu at openjdk.java.net
Fri Sep 10 19:25:50 UTC 2021

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 19:03:39 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> As far as I remember that tests report better performance than OGL, is it possible that for Metal the perf tests just skip the rendering phase and did not wait for a DisplayLink callback?

I'm not sure about Swingmark but RenderPerf tracks the real content rendering (there are color marks for each frame that are rendered after the bunch of primitives and the java robot detects the change of the color marks). So, we can trust the numbers in the RenderPerf.

> Probably we can force metal to draw some initial surfaces w/o using DisplayLink?

It could work but complicates things a bit. I'll see what we can do here. Meanwhile, I'll provide the solution that we discussed earlier.