RFR: 8273821: Limit parallelism for sanity/client/SwingSet tests

Aleksey Shipilev shade at openjdk.java.net
Thu Sep 16 08:49:48 UTC 2021

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:18:09 GMT, Aleksey Shipilev <shade at openjdk.org> wrote:

> If you run them today on a parallel machine with the usual invocation:
>
> $ CONF=linux-x86_64-server-fastdebug make run-test TEST=sanity/client/SwingSet/
>
> ...then a whole lot of these tests would fail. It seems to be caused by the overlapping GUI windows that robots fail to reach properly then. It seems these tests need to be run exclusively.
>
> @mrserb, maybe I am missing something? How do you run these tests?
>
> Additional testing:
>  - [x] `sanity/client/SwingSet/` tests now pass on TR 3970X

Thanks for the input. I cannot find and improvement for `exclusiveAccess.dirs` to accept tags, but I found [this stalled improvement](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/CODETOOLS-7902831) in jtreg that points the suggested use for `exclusiveAccess.dirs` might be construed as misuse.

The fact that GUI tests are not blocked from parallel execution by default is unfortunate, and that means the prospective `tier4` (#5357) can only reliably run with `!headful`. Which might be good enough...