RFR: 8239502: [TEST_BUG] Test javax/swing/text/FlowView/6318524/bug6318524.java never fails

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.java.net
Fri Sep 24 15:13:56 UTC 2021

On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 07:19:16 GMT, Prasanta Sadhukhan <psadhukhan at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Probably it will be better to use descriptive name for the test rather than bugid.

In the majority of cases, the test name is not detailed enough, however, it usually gives a better idea than a plain bugid. If a test fails, you still have to analyse it.

> Probably it was done to maintain consistency with closed test but since it is supposedly a rewrite and we have done away with bugid in testname, a descriptive name will be better. Also @bug tag will let us know for which it was written..

Even if it's completely re-written, it's not a new test. I'd rather keep the original name: searching for it returns some bugs; if the test name is changed, those search results are lost.