RFR: 8279614: The left line of the TitledBorder is not painted on 150 scale factor [v7]

Aleksei Ivanov alexey.ivanov at oracle.com
Wed Apr 6 11:11:11 UTC 2022

Hi Eirik,

Thank you for bringing this up.

On 30/03/2022 20:22, Eirik Bakke wrote:
>> In fact, Windows 10 renders titled border flat: one grey line instead of etched border that was used in previous versions. Shall we update Swing's Windows L&F?

Here my point was that the rendering of GroupBox control in Windows has
changed. Windows used to use an etched border that TitledBorder in Swing
continues to use. Yet Windows 8.1 and 10 use a single grey line for
GroupBox control which differs from what Swing uses. As such Windows
Look and Feel in Swing does not represent native Windows rendering for
the same kind of thing.

> In the Windows L&F, the following borders all display badly on 150% HiDPI scaling, and would benefit from a fix:
>
> TextField.border, PasswordField.border, FormattedTextField.border, ScrollPane.border, PopupMenu.border, Menu.border, ToolTip.border, as well as the borders for JSpinner and JComboBox.

You're right all the borders are affected. I hope we'll think out a
common approach to rendering borders which ensures all the edges are of
the same thickness. Once it's done here for the EtchedBorder, painting
other borders should be updated as well.

> I once did some work to fix these 150% HiDPI scaling border issues on the NetBeans IDE; see https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1777 and https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2965 and https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/platform/o.n.swing.plaf/src/org/netbeans/swing/plaf/windows8/Windows8LFCustoms.java

I'll take a closer look at your approach. It could be useful.

--
Regards,
Alexey