RFR: 8282526: Default icon is not painted properly [v3]

Sergey Bylokhov serb at openjdk.java.net
Tue Apr 26 22:49:40 UTC 2022

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 22:23:55 GMT, Alexander Zuev <kizune at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Yes, the issue manifests itself only on Windows - but i was able to reproduce it using generic MultiResolutionIcon in the test case so while it CAN be fixed in the Windows specific code i still think addressing it in the shared code is a right thing to do.

Fixing it in the ImageIcon is similar to fixing it by changing internal default state of the rendering pipeline in any other places like images/graphics/fonts, while we have to change that state "externally". We have to set BICUBIC interpolation in the place where we draw that image/icon.

But before discussing that, it would be good to understand:
 - is it a regression or not, if yes then what change caused that, did we have some wrong assumption?
 - why we need to downscale the image, 16x16/32x32 is quite common sizes why we cannot read an exact size from the native which I think will provide the best quality?