RFR: 8284672: Collapse identical catch branches in java.desktop

Phil Race prr at openjdk.java.net
Wed Apr 27 17:52:48 UTC 2022

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 06:50:15 GMT, Andrey Turbanov <aturbanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Let's take advantage of Java 7 language feature - "Catching Multiple Exception Types".
> It simplifies code. Reduces duplication.
> Found by IntelliJ IDEA inspection Identical 'catch' branches in 'try' statement

Marked as reviewed by prr (Reviewer).

src/java.desktop/share/classes/com/sun/java/swing/plaf/gtk/Metacity.java line 610:

> 608:                     }
> 609:                 } catch (MalformedURLException ex) {
> 610:                     // OK to just ignore. We'll use a fallback theme.

subclass of IOException I suppose

src/java.desktop/share/classes/com/sun/media/sound/DLSSoundbankReader.java line 50:

> 48:         try {
> 49:             return new DLSSoundbank(url);
> 50:         } catch (IOException e) {

So how can this method throw the declared IOException ?
Hmm I suppose the API super-class declares it is

src/java.desktop/share/classes/com/sun/media/sound/SF2SoundbankReader.java line 50:

> 48:         try {
> 49:             return new SF2Soundbank(url);
> 50:         } catch (IOException e) {

same here