RFR: 8288882: JFileChooser - empty (0 bytes) file is displayed as 1 KB [v16]

Abhishek Kumar duke at openjdk.org
Wed Aug 10 18:25:49 UTC 2022

On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 17:49:14 GMT, Phil Race <prr at openjdk.org> wrote:

> > > If we display the file size with one decimal point precision, then it doesn't hold at all until the file size reaches 1 KB.
>
> Is your point ( pun intended) that it looks like we are displaying files to a decimal precision, but in fact are not ?
>
> ie it is very odd to display 1.0kb for files of 100, 200, 300, etc bytes .. What is the reason for displaying them all as 1.0kb .. this review is so long I'm not sure I am following any more.
>
> Could we get a summary in a few sentences of the entire current proposal and the justification for it ?

There was an issue with plural forms if we show file sizes in terms of bytes. So, it has been discussed that
we can show the file size in terms of "1 KB" for files having size >0 and <1000 bytes. To keep file size similar to native file system, JFileChooser displays file sizes with one decimal point precision.

Now, the issue is whether an empty file should be displayed as "0.0 KB" or "0 KB" ?
As of now empty files are displayed as "0 KB".