RFR: 8293862: javax/swing/JFileChooser/8046391/bug8046391.java failed with 'Cannot invoke "java.awt.Image.getWidth(java.awt.image.ImageObserver)" because "retVal" is null' [v2]

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.org
Mon Dec 19 14:34:49 UTC 2022

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:24:58 GMT, Tejesh R <tr at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Means the other constructor is called in two places only and in those places null checks are done. So, even if we add assertion inside constructor, it will unreachable.

It won't be unreachable, _it will prevent such a situation from happening again_. The code which calls the other constructor could be changed.

I still think it's reasonable to add the assertion. It's a no-op if assertions aren't enabled (the default), and it'll catch the broken invariant in testing since tests are (usually) run with assertions enabled.