[jdk20] RFR: 8299077: [REDO] JDK-4512626 Non-editable JTextArea provides no visual indication of keyboard focus

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.org
Wed Dec 21 17:03:51 UTC 2022

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 23:38:31 GMT, Alexander Zuev <kizune at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Slightly updated original fix - got rid of the extra flasher reset. Tests are fixed to be more stable and pass on the corresponding platforms.

When the caret doesn't need to blink because the component is read-only, we call the public method `setBlinkRate` to set the rate to 0. At the same time, `getBlinkRate` continues to return non-zero value. This is confusing.

I propose introducing a protected method which would handle the internal state. This way changing blink rate because the text component changes its state from editable to non-editable and back would be hidden inside the class, and `getBlinkRate` would always return the rate which was set by the most recent call to `setBlinkRate`.

This can be handled as part of [JDK-8298602](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8298602) or _separately_.